Case B describes the digital transformation process GroupM India undertook from 2013 to 2016. To respond to the challenges highlighted in Case A – product, profile, partnerships and people – the company identified customer focus and nimbleness as two “quests” to prioritize. GroupM focused on building comprehensive media solutions, targeting new-economy customers (such as e-commerce and digital companies), forging new partnerships with creative and ad tech players and, most importantly, leveraging its people. By end-2016, GroupM had not only retained its position as the largest player in the Indian advertising industry but had also widened its lead over competitors.
- Understand that successful companies need to be proactive to recognize the imperative for digital transformation.
- Identify, prioritize and launch the precise “quest” to remain relevant in a digitizing world.
- Realize that people and culture – not technology – are core to executing a successful digital transformation.
- Build the leadership capabilities, technical skills and organizational structures to support a transformation process.
- Recognize the organizational barriers to be overcome.
GroupM, Business Management Services, Advertising and Public Relations
2013 - 2016
IMD retains all proprietary interests in its case studies and notes. Without prior written permission, IMD cases and notes may not be reproduced, used, translated, included in books or other publications, distributed in any form or by any means, stored in a database or in other retrieval systems. For additional copyright information related to case studies, please contact Case Services.
Research Information & Knowledge Hub for additional information on IMD publications