Ternium is a Latin American steel company that has earned a reputation as one of the best-managed steel companies in the world, skilled in navigating turbulent markets. Driving the company are a long-term strategic focus, an engineer’s mindset of constant process innovation as old as its roots, and a goal to become the leading steel company in the Americas. What is next for Ternium, and how could it maintain sustainable long-term growth? Also, how can it build an aligned strategy across various strategic elements to achieve this growth? The case series features a standalone strategy main case and three subcases on firm organization, sustainability and human resources to be used in conjunction with the main case. These sub-cases can be used to explore the dimensional nature of strategy. The organization subcase looks at the implications of USMCA, NAFTA’s replacement, on the steelmaker’s regional coordination strategy. The sustainability subcase dives into Ternium’s commitment to reduce carbon intensity by 20% in 2030, and the broader ramifications of this goal. The final case examines what is needed on the human resources side to get a firm ready to face the demands of the future.
- Understand the importance of aligned strategy across different strategic elements
- Analyze factors that contribute to sustainable long-term growth
- Determine the keys to an integrated organizational strategy and how one can go from a decentralized to coordinated organizational strategy
- Recognize the different ways stakeholders can influence a company’s sustainability strategy
- Analyze HR’s role in operationalizing a company’s strategy
Ternium, Materials, Steel
IMD retains all proprietary interests in its case studies and notes. Without prior written permission, IMD cases and notes may not be reproduced, used, translated, included in books or other publications, distributed in any form or by any means, stored in a database or in other retrieval systems. For additional copyright information related to case studies, please contact Case Services.
Research Information & Knowledge Hub for additional information on IMD publications