This is a team-to-team interaction negotiation between Jean Bernard, a national account manager in the Hygiene division of Clarabec France and Maurice Charles, the national buyer at Big Mall. They have to renegotiate the annual contract, that includes seven key issues: quantity discounts, terms of payment, promotional discounts, cooperative advertising, shelf space, new product acceptance and end-of-isle display.
• Explore the difference between interests, options and positions.
• Experience positional bargaining and its risks.
• Think of negotiating a deal as a package rather than list of independent issues/points.
• Learn to prepare and prioritize interest.
• Think of creating options.
• Experience the difference between power in negotiation versus negotiation power.
IMD retains all proprietary interests in its case studies and notes. Without prior written permission, IMD cases and notes may not be reproduced, used, translated, included in books or other publications, distributed in any form or by any means, stored in a database or in other retrieval systems. For additional copyright information related to case studies, please contact Case Services.
Research Information & Knowledge Hub for additional information on IMD publications